Poll: Does Kells hold his own among greats like Al Green,Marvin Gaye e.t.c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

*JACKED*Does Kells hold his own among greats like Al Green,Marvin Gaye e.t.c

This is a discussion on *JACKED*Does Kells hold his own among greats like Al Green,Marvin Gaye e.t.c within the R. Kelly Polls forums, part of the R. Kelly Music Chat category; http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=344760 your thoughts on this question........

  1. #1
    my brain is tired KARMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    13,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Local Date
    08-23-2017
    Local Time
    10:21 AM
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)

    Default *JACKED*Does Kells hold his own among greats like Al Green,Marvin Gaye e.t.c

    http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=344760



    your thoughts on this question.....
    Psychopaths have a Hidden Content and grossly inflated view of their own Hidden Content and importance, a truly astounding egocentricity and sense of entitlement, and see themselves as the center of the universe, justified in living according to their own rules.

    Psychopaths show a stunning lack of concern for the effects their actions have on others, no matter how devastating these might be. They may appear completely forthright about the matter, calmly stating that they have no sense of guilt, are not sorry for the ensuing pain, and that there is no reason now to be concerned.

    Many of the characteristics displayed by psychopaths are closely associated with a profound lack of empathy and inability to construct a mental and emotional "facsimile" of another person.

    Psychopaths seem to suffer a kind of emotional poverty that limits the range and depth of their feelings. At times they appear to be cold and unemotional while nevertheless being prone to dramatic, shallow, and short-lived displays of feeling.
    Obligations and commitments mean nothing to psychopaths.

    But here is the crux: Psychopaths don't feel they have psychological or emotional problems, and they see no reason to change their behavior to conform with societal standards they do not agree with.







  2. #2
    Senior Member helena22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Online
    08-21-2017 @ 05:30 AM
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    4,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Local Date
    08-23-2017
    Local Time
    05:21 PM
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

    Default

    Hmmm....now this is a really hard question...Like somebody there said, I'd just say he holds his own in this generation. His club/sexual songs have blocked some folks from feeling comfortable about putting him in the place where Al Green, Marvin Gaye, et.al, I guess. Not to mention that he's like their son and they've been time-tested for longer years than Kellz.

  3. #3
    Call me Jack Tripper! 2ndgaboman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Last Online
    08-23-2017 @ 12:08 AM
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    1,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Local Date
    08-24-2017
    Local Time
    01:21 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

    Default

    Kellz easily stands with these guys as one of the greatest of all time. Most people won't see it, I guess, but most of those guys probably wouldn't have appreciated Marvin Gaye or Al Green in their time either - they probably would've kept saying "they'll never be no Nat King Cole" or some shit... you know the kind... the the truth is, Kellz is one of the best of the last 2 decades, and he shows no signs of slowing down.

  4. #4
    Senior Member helena22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Online
    08-21-2017 @ 05:30 AM
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    4,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Local Date
    08-23-2017
    Local Time
    05:21 PM
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgaboman View Post
    Kellz easily stands with these guys as one of the greatest of all time. Most people won't see it, I guess, but most of those guys probably wouldn't have appreciated Marvin Gaye or Al Green in their time either - they probably would've kept saying "they'll never be no Nat King Cole" or some shit... you know the kind... the the truth is, Kellz is one of the best of the last 2 decades, and he shows no signs of slowing down.
    Hopefully, MV project sees the light. If that happens, more folks would say yes to this kind of questions. If not exactly MV, some ambitious project of that nature should be there to ensure more people to believe that he's not just comfortably chillin at this stage of his success, never slows down like you said, and reaches to another level.

    I answered yes.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Dreamgirl2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Online
    11-29-2014 @ 10:39 PM
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    10,684
    Post Thanks / Like
    Local Date
    08-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:21 PM
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgaboman View Post
    Kellz easily stands with these guys as one of the greatest of all time. Most people won't see it, I guess, but most of those guys probably wouldn't have appreciated Marvin Gaye or Al Green in their time either - they probably would've kept saying "they'll never be no Nat King Cole" or some shit... you know the kind... the the truth is, Kellz is one of the best of the last 2 decades, and he shows no signs of slowing down.


    I co sign with your statement 2ndgaboman.
    [COLOR=red]HEART OF A WOMAN:cool: [/COLOR]

  6. #6
    Senior Member mistermaxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Last Online
    08-22-2017 @ 08:59 PM
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    6,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Local Date
    08-23-2017
    Local Time
    05:21 PM
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

    Default

    easily He does. I mean He has Longevity, a strong track record of Hits, successful Albums, respected Live Act&not to mention all the side projects. when somebody has to ask then it's obvious because you can't name another R&B act who has maintained the type of Success&Interest that Kellz has been able to maintain. I mean hell, how many other Cats who were part of the New Jack Swing era still matter? hell how many People from the 90's period still count? if a Cat can make Hits on Himself, Established Acts, Unknown Acts&everybody else in between&He is still that Cat that is the Most Important R&B act in the Hip-Hop Era. I mean the track record doesn't lie. but guess what? I believe I can I fly, Step in the Name of Love, Bump&Grind, downlow,I wish, Your Body's callin,&His other Hits are timeless.
    I dig Al Green, He had a Nice Run,but He didn't last as near as long as Kellz. Marvin Gaye lasted a long time,but he didn't find his own musical idenity for a while. Kellz was already on the ball with his game. Show me another R&B Artist who can survive Musical changes,Own Personal issues, a changing Music Industry where nowadays buying a Album might get somebody to call the looney van on you. I mean R.Kelly is well established&He is in that League where he made it.

  7. #7
    There Can Only Be 1 Me redemption08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    08-23-2017 @ 08:42 AM
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Local Date
    08-23-2017
    Local Time
    01:21 PM
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Default

    Definitely!!!! Just look at his body of work. He's a WRITER, Multi-instrumentalist, and he is so versatile and can flat out SANG (yes I meant to say that).

  8. #8
    Call me Jack Tripper! 2ndgaboman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Last Online
    08-23-2017 @ 12:08 AM
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    1,567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Local Date
    08-24-2017
    Local Time
    01:21 AM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistermaxxx View Post
    I dig Al Green, He had a Nice Run,but He didn't last as near as long as Kellz. Marvin Gaye lasted a long time,but he didn't find his own musical idenity for a while. Kellz was already on the ball with his game.
    So, so true. There's like 4 Al Green albums that I absolutely love from the early 70's, and granted there's a couple I haven't heard, but a lot of his other stuff is pretty generic. Gaye was generic too until he struck gold with What's Going On. I mean, he always had the voice, but he wasn't doing much in the way of really putting himself out there as a "talent", except with 'Dancing in the Street' and the stuff he did for the Originals and some other songs... but even after he did start making his music the way he wanted, he didn't bring out that many albums... and, the whole run didn't last long... I mean, I love everything he did in the 70's, but... well... Midnight Love... I just can't get into it. 'Til Tomorrow, Sexual Healing, My Love Is Waiting... everything else I've never understood.

    I'm sure the "etc." in the title means other folks like Stevie Wonder, Donny Hathaway, Jackie Wilson, Rufus Thomas - whoever... but similar things could be said for them.

    Fact is, R. Kelly's stayed on top of everything (as far as the changes in musical climate go) like I don't think anyone else has done before. It's really quite remarkable.

  9. #9
    Senior Member helena22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Online
    08-21-2017 @ 05:30 AM
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    4,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Local Date
    08-23-2017
    Local Time
    05:21 PM
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

    Default

    It's a sharp contrast. Yes vs. No is 28/24 there and 18/0 here right now.

  10. #10
    Senior Member mistermaxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Last Online
    08-22-2017 @ 08:59 PM
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    6,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    Local Date
    08-23-2017
    Local Time
    05:21 PM
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgaboman View Post
    So, so true. There's like 4 Al Green albums that I absolutely love from the early 70's, and granted there's a couple I haven't heard, but a lot of his other stuff is pretty generic. Gaye was generic too until he struck gold with What's Going On. I mean, he always had the voice, but he wasn't doing much in the way of really putting himself out there as a "talent", except with 'Dancing in the Street' and the stuff he did for the Originals and some other songs... but even after he did start making his music the way he wanted, he didn't bring out that many albums... and, the whole run didn't last long... I mean, I love everything he did in the 70's, but... well... Midnight Love... I just can't get into it. 'Til Tomorrow, Sexual Healing, My Love Is Waiting... everything else I've never understood.

    I'm sure the "etc." in the title means other folks like Stevie Wonder, Donny Hathaway, Jackie Wilson, Rufus Thomas - whoever... but similar things could be said for them.

    Fact is, R. Kelly's stayed on top of everything (as far as the changes in musical climate go) like I don't think anyone else has done before. It's really quite remarkable.
    Great feedback Gabo. Marvin Gaye wanted to be a Black Frank Sinatra or a Younger Nat King Cole, Billy Eckstine sitting on a Stool style singer. the duets are the things that open up the doors for him along with "I heard it through the grapevine". Marvin also wanted to challenge the Motown system of factory driven product. also when your Boss is also your Brother in law then He really was watched. but R belongs in that same mix. because He has had other Production teams,Songwriters&Artists Emulate his thing. to answer the question:Joe, Avant, Trey Songz,Ruff Endz, Tim&Bob have all used his style at various points in there careers. not to mention the many acts who have covered Kellz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •